Today I feel so inspired (by others) to write a blog on douche bags. Thanks (not really) for providing me with this information and material. Let it be known that douchebaggery is not limited to men; lots of women are capable of being douchettes too. For those of you that are riding the fence not knowing if you fully qualify for such a title, let me provide a checklist of sorts for you to keep score. Please note, that if you even possess one of these qualities, you SUCK and chances are, those around you think you suck too. (Wow that sounds bitter. Down girl.) Brace yourself because here it comes….
1. If you are the type of person that does favors and then throws it up in others faces, you are a gigantic douche bag. If you do a favor for someone, do it because you want to and hold no expectations. Chances are the person asking doesn’t even want to but has exhausted all other possibilities leaving them in a precarious situation. Doing a favor means you are helping someone. It certainly doesn’t make that person your eternal slave nor does it mean they have to live in purgatory taking your shit for a lifetime. You don’t own someone just because you did them a favor.
2. If someone who cares about you tries to contact you via text, email, phone calls etc., and you consciously choose to ignore them; you’ve hit the douche-o-meter. What a douche bag you are to make the other person squirm, guess what’s going on, worry or blindlessly create a scenario in their head of what may or may not be happening. Try not to be a douche and answer them.
3. Here’s a good one. If someone trusts you so much that they confide their secrets to you, either big, small or both, don’t use that information to then throw it up in their face in a fit of anger or as a way to get back at them. Worse than that, don’t share those same secrets with others. Only douches would do such a thing. Take into consideration that they thought so highly of you to share something so intimate and important to them. Don’t make them regret bringing you into their world.
4. If you have a specific goal you want to achieve, either tangible or not, don’t lie to another person to get there. It’s a cheap way of achieving things. Don’t fib to make someone believe you are likeminded and aligned in your beliefs. If that person, isn’t in the same place as you or wanting the same things, move yourself right along. See ya douchebag.
5. I can’t think of anything more unappealing than a person who is pretentious or an elitist. There’s not a single person who would want to keep company with someone who thumbs their nose at others, all while under the delusion that they are out of anyone else’s league. Douchebags, here’s a newsflash; your insecurities scream out when you act in such a manner. You’re probably trying to reject those around you for fear of being rejected yourself. Wow, I’m a freaking therapist all of the sudden. Please take note.
6. Here’s an adjective that fits every douche bag out there, self-centered. Listen jerks, the world revolves around the sun, not you asshole. Friendship is a two-way street and you are on a one way road going nowhere fast. It’s nice to hear what’s going on with you, but how long does one have to listen to a person talk about themselves? Since we are on this topic, here’s another thing, if you are more interested in what solely makes you happy and never consider those around you that makes you a douche. If you are self-centered and the only subject that you like is “me”, pack your bags and take a hike out of my world. Contributing to others happiness is part of friendship, family and life.
7. Mistakes are part of life. If someone you care about makes one, don’t spend your entire life rubbing their nose in it. Either forgive or try to understand. If you’re incapable of one or both, release that person from your life. Don’t be a douche and keep them around just to feel empowered, or use it as a way to control them and have them pay penance every day. You have a choice, either you want them in your life or you don’t. Don’t have them in your life just to wield some weird non-existent power you now think you hold over them.
8. Hey we all think we are good looking to an extent. Some of us are right on the money and others have completely missed the mark. Good for the uglies that think they are cute. No harm, no foul. However, do your best not to flaunt your fake-hotness. Furthermore, if you are hot, definitely don’t be an asshole about it. You’re good looking, we all know it. Doesn’t mean I want to bask in your presence and worship you. If you’re good looking and parade around in it, your hotness instantly diminishes. I’ll still look at you, but there is no way on God’s green earth that I’ll give you the satisfaction of acknowledging you’re cute. Hotness without brain activity = douche.
9. Loyalty is an amazing quality to have and those you love should feel it toward you. Seems reasonable but it’s not. Not everyone carries this trait. Family and friends should have your back, no exceptions. If someone talks smack about you in your presence or not, your people should leap to your defense even if the other person has a point. Who cares if what they are saying is true, you are their person therefore loyalty should be immediately implemented. If your best friend hates someone, you hate them too and there is no room for negotiation on this. Reason and rational do not go with loyalty. If you are incapable of protecting, helping, or practicing unconditional love to those in your immediate circle than you’re nothing more than a total scumbag. You aren’t worthy to be in that circle and need to go back to loyalty training.
10. Last but certainly not least is the person that only has friends on their terms. You’re the person who only comes around when it’s convenient for you, or you need something. Hells no! Don’t contact that one reliable friend as a last option because all your other homies aren’t around. Saying hey, I miss you after months and months of not talking to just find that shoulder to cry on because all others have failed you is really kind of douchey. That person was always there for you, you abandoned them in the height of your popularity and suddenly you find yourself alone. Nope don’t contact that person that was a great friend to you and come walking back in their life as if you were there the whole time. No no no no that friend had time to figure out the exact type of person you are, a user. Find another sucker.
There you have it my friends. That’s my top ten list. I’m sure there are a hundred more ways someone can be considered a douche, but I found these qualities to be the most notable. Ask yourself if you do these things. My suggestion is if you are guilty of any of the above that you cease and abandon them immediately. I can absolutely guarantee that you’ve been called a douche either to your face or behind your back, either way; you have the ability to change that. If you had a good friend like me, I’d be happy to tell you to your face, but I’m just the writer and you’re the reader.